Monday, February 11, 2008

Starting out with Amazon EC2 (Prelude)

This is the first in a series of posts which will cover my experiences with the Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud) services. I had first read about EC2 a few months back and tagged in my del.icio.us account but for some reason never visited it again (I can tell why: too busy working on the wrong things, i.e. legacy application support). Then, I attended the February Columbus Ruby Brigade meeting and the presentation was on Amazon Services (EC2, S3, etc.).

Some background info: I have recently been working on a Data Center proposal for work which will hopefully move most of our Internet presence into a full-on ultra-redundant Data Center. But the presentation of the Amazon EC2 services has me thinking; why do I need to have physical servers in anyone's Data Center? Could I put together a plan which minimized the amount of real iron that we have to buy, maintain, and find a home for and replace most of that 'stuff' with computing in the cloud?

Well I'm going to try... It may or may not work out for this specific project but I aim to make the experience fun and definitely educational for me (and hopefully for you too).

Please check back in, as I work my way through the EC2 experience.

No comments: